Budget Tips For Eating Healthy After Weight Loss Surgery
After gastric bypass, gastric banding or gastric sleeve weight loss surgery we know we must follow a healthy high protein diet in order to lose weight and maintain weight loss. In these economic times it is natural to be concerned about the cost of a specialized diet. Follow these helpful tips to sustain your weight loss surgery diet without breaking the bank.
5 Day Pouch Test Store
By Kaye Bailey
After gastric bypass, gastric banding or gastric sleeve weight loss surgery we know we must follow a healthy high protein diet in order to lose weight and maintain weight loss. In these difficult economic times it is natural to be concerned about the cost of a specialized diet. Follow these helpful tips to sustain your weight loss surgery diet without breaking the bank. By making a special effort when planning, shopping and preparing meals it is painless to save money and follow a nutritional program to benefit our health today and in the future.
Save Money & Eat Well
- Make a weekly menu of dinner meals. Focus on protein dishes that can be repurposed as lunches. Side dishes should be fresh seasonal vegetables and fruits or frozen vegetables requiring minimal preparation.
- Plan two or three "routine" breakfast selections. Most WLS patients have a lower tolerance for food upon waking and eventually find a few things that consistently settle well on their stomach pouch first thing in the morning. Have these routine selections on hand at all times to avoid starting the day off with a grumpy pouch.
- Follow the weekly grocery sale ads and take advantage of specials and coupons. Use grocery store loyalty cards for added savings. Avoid sales for processed simple carbohydrates (junk food) because these foods are referred to as "slider foods" and they often cause weight gain in WLS patients. Remember, a slider food on sale is still a slider food.
- Purchase items that can be used in multiple recipes and for different meals such as canned beans, eggs and flash frozen poultry and fish pieces. Stock up on sale items and repackage bulk purchases for single meals or single serving sizes and freeze to avoid waste.
- When shopping, follow the "Protein First" rule and make protein selections first. Look for fresh lean meat, pork and lamb in the meat department. Add poultry and fish from the meat department or frozen meat section. Shop for low-fat dairy protein and select low-fat cottage cheese and yogurt as well as eggs. Add vegetable based protein to your diet with canned beans, dried beans and legumes, and tofu products.
- Take advantage of locally grown produce available seasonally at roadside stands and farmers markets. For an exercise bonus gather your produce at "pick-your-own" farms and orchards to save money and burn calories.
- Eliminate pricey beverages from your diet in favor of filtered tap water. It is less expensive and better for the environment. Flavor water with a squeeze of fresh lemon or fresh ginger. Add frozen berries for a refreshing treat. Make sun tea with tea bags instead of buying manufactured tea beverages. You will get a purer beverage and save money too.
- Prepare your meals at home rather than eating out. You can control the ingredients and avoid things that interfere with your healthy dietary goals following weight loss surgery.
- Build on your experience each week to become a health savvy and budget wise shopper so that you can enjoy your healthy life following surgical weight loss.
Kaye Bailey - 2010 - All Rights Reserved
Kaye Bailey is an internationally recognized writer, speaker and weight loss surgery advocate. She is the author of the highly successful weight loss surgery back to basics plan: 5 Day Pouch Test and the 5 Day Pouch Test Owner's Manual. Her follow-up book, Day 6: Beyond the 5 Day Pouch Test, was published in December 2009. It provides guidance for long-term weight and health management with all bariatric surgical procedures. Ms. Bailey is known for her powerful "you can do this" manner and her belief in the power of personal responsibility. She is the founder of LivingAfterWLS, LLC parent company to the LivingAfterWLS.com and 5daypouchtest.com websites. Supporting both websites is the LivingAfterWLS Neighborhood, an online compassion-driven community for weight loss surgery, gastric bypass and gastric banding patients.
Articles by Kaye Bailey
Four Truths About Weight Gain after Weight Loss Surgery
Slider Foods Spell Weight Regain for Weight Loss Surgery Patients
High Protein Diet Promotes Fat Loss for Weight Loss Surgery Patients
Reduce Offensive Flatulence After Weight Loss Surgery
How to Eat Popcorn After Weight Loss Surgery
Soothe Stomach Discomfort with Ginger & Spinach Soup
Budget Tips for Eating Healthy After Weight Loss Surgery
Gastric Bypass Dumping Syndrome - Three Foods that Cause It
Headaches - Three Effective Herbal Remedies
Headaches with the Weight Loss Surgery High Protein Diet
Five High Protein Meals Portable Meals for Weight Loss Surgery Patients
Medical Tourism - What to Know Before Traveling for Weight Loss Surgery
Day 6: Beyond the 5 Day Pouch Test
by Kaye Bailey
Kaye Bailey's follow-up to her powerful 5 Day Pouch Test Owner's Manual, which has helped countelss thousands get back on track with their weight loss surgery. In Ms. Bailey's generous spirit of compassion and belief in others she shares her secrets for working with the surgical weight loss tool, not against it, to achieve optimum success and long-term weight maintenance. No gimmicks. No quick fixes. Just simple common sense delivered in the powerful "you can do this" style we have come to expect from Ms. Bailey.
In Day 6: Beyond the 5 Day Pouch Test Ms. Bailey invites readers to consider their relationship with the word diet as she introduces a revolutionary new concept for nurturing a strong and reasonable respect for food.
Day 6 is the way-of-life weight loss surgery patients will follow if they want to control their weight for the rest of their lives.
"This is the book I wish I had read before having surgery in the first place - it would have made all the difference in my success or failure."
-- Alyce Pittaway, Laparoscopic GastricBypass 2002
Sale Price: $25.95
- The Plan
- Kaye Bailey
- Order the 5 Day Pouch Test Owner's Manual
The Complete Plan, Recipes, FAQ's, Testimonials.
FREE GOODY BAG!